brother is a nutritionist. My sisters are mathematicians.
||你給我記住：不定代名詞 (indefinite pronouns) anyone,
everyone, someone, no one, nobody 永遠是單數！
- Everyone has done his or her homework.
- Somebody has left her purse.
若干不定代名詞 (如 all, some) 為複數或單數 --
- Some of the beads are missing.
- Some of the water is gone.
- None of you claims responsibility for this
- None of you claim responsibility for this
- None of the students have done their
和 everybody， 它們讓我們覺得我們好像是在談論一個人以上，所以應該使用複數動詞；而
Everyone has finished his or her
記住：你一定要說 "Everybody is here."
Each of the students is
responsible for doing his or her work in the library.
別讓 "students" 給迷惑了；主詞是 each，而
each 永遠是單數：Each is responsible.
||你給我記住：together with， as well as
和 along with 等片語與 and 並不相同.
- The mayor as well as his brothers is going
- The mayor and his brothers are going to
由 as well as 或 along with
所引導的片語係修飾前面的字 (本例為 mayor)，但它並未使主詞複數化
(而 and 則有使主詞 1+1=2 的複數化作用)。
||你給我記住：neither 和 either
- Neither of the two traffic lights is
- Either suit is fine with me.
並沒有結合的作用，所以，在使用 or 或 nor
- Either my father or my brothers are going
to sell the house.
- Neither my brothers nor my father is going
to sell the house.
- Are either my brothers or my father
- Is either my father or my brothers
||你給我記住：there 和 here
- There are two reasons [複數主詞] for
- There is no reason for this.
- Here are two apples.
||你給我記住：第三人稱、單數主詞 (he, she,
it) 的現在式動詞以加 s 做結尾。其他動詞則否。
He loves； she loves；they
love . . . .
The mayor, who has been convicted along
with his four brothers on four counts of various crimes but who also seems, like a cat, to
have several political lives, is
finally going to jail.
pants， pliers，和 scissors 等字被視為複數，除非它們的前面有 pair
of 這個片語 (此時 pair 這個字就變成了主詞)。
- My glasses were on the bed.
- My pants were torn.
- A pair of trousers is in the closet.
||你給我記住：分數字詞如 half of， a part of，
a percentage of， a majority of
any，more， most ， some 當主詞的情況。)
- Some of the voters are still angry.
- A large percentage of the older population is
voting against her.
- Two-fifths of the troops were lost in the
- Two-fifths of the vineyard was destroyed
- Two and two is four.
- Four times four divided by two is eight.
- The news from the front is bad.
- Measles is a dangerous disease for
- My assets were wiped out in the
- The average worker's earnings have gone up
- Our thanks go to the workers who supported
Guide to Grammar and